Uttarpara has the distinction of having charitable dispensary as early as in
1851. Here again, it was Joykrishna Mukherjee who took the initiative.
He appealed to British Government in 1849 for setting up a dispensary
in Uttarpara. He promised to hand over a property yielding an annual
income of Rs. 1800 towards cost of setting up the dispensary and additionally
volunteered to pay half the cost of construction of proposed building
(Rs. 8000). The British Government agreed to his proposal and the dispensary
was set up and started functioning from May 1851.
For more than 100 years, the dispensary served residents of Uttarpara.
In 1962, the Govt of West Bengal took over the magnificent mansion
of Raja Peary Mohan Mukherjee and converted it into a General
Uttarpara General Hospital Building