Home > Heritage > Uttarpara Municipality >You are here

| Site Map |

     Home
     History

     Culture

     Heritage

     Education

     Business

     Health

     People

     Cuisine

     Travel

     Sports

     Forum

     Gallery

     Information

  

Activities of Uttarpara Municipality 

Development activities of Uttarpara Municipality:
  
1853

- Two pacca drains at Chowadhorypara street and Bannerjeepara street were constructed at the cost of Rs. 67 and 7 annas.

1854

- Municipal authority arranged watering of streets in summer by appointing 4 bhesthis at the rate of Rs. 5/- each. Ground floor of office building was constructed at the cost of Rs. 125 and 5.5 annas

1857

- Bullock carts were engaged for lifting garbages.

1866

- Bhesthis were replaced by bullock carts for watering the streets.

1867

- First floor of Municipal building was constructed at the cost of Rs. 500/-

1870

- Street lighting started with 20 lamp posts erected with kerosene lamps.

1873

- Birth and death registration introduced but after few years it was transferred to police authority and again returned to Municipal authority in the year 1913.

1883 - Compulsory vaccination was introduced.
1887 - Night soil clearing started 
1896

- Municipal authority announced, inhabitants have to place their garbages at the particular selected places between 6 AM to 8 AM. Also nightsoil had to be cleared between 5 AM to 7 AM.


1918

- Started supply of potable drinking water to tax payers. It was a novel venture in those days. The Municipality realised the importance of safe drinking water for community health as early as in 1910. A plan to construct waterworks started at that time. The construction was completed in 1918 and filtered drinking water started flowing to municipal tax payers from 1st October, 1918. The cost of waterworks was Rs. 1,30,000. It used to supply 2800 gallons of drinking water everyday between 6 am to 10 am in the morning and 3 pm to 6 pm in the afternoon. The capacity of waterworks was increased to 100000 gallons. As usual, many Uttarparans came forward to contribute to this novel venture, notable among them were: Raja Jyotkumar Mukherjee, Rs. 35,000, Babu Monohar Mukherjee Rs. 5000 and M/s. Graham and Co. Rs. 5000.

1919

- As per Hackney Carriage Act, two Hackney Carriage stands were fixed in front of Uttarpara Govt School and at Railway Station.

1926

- Electric Street lights were introduced, replacing Kerosene lamps. Altogether, 121 light posts were erected. Today (i.e. 2004) - there are 2031 lightposts lighting the streets of Uttarpara.

1938

- Municipal authority resolved to construct quarters for sweepers and Methors. The location for the housing scheme was along Railway line on western fringe of Uttarpara. It was inaugurated in 1940 and named as "Harijan Basti" 

1945

- His excellency R G Lasey, Governor of Bengal laid the foundation stone of proposed Municipal building at the crossing of G T Road and Bannerjeepara street on a land of 12 Kathas.

   

 

Designed, Developed and Hosted By
The Great Indian Bazaar

| Site Map | About Us | Acknowledgement | Advertisement | Privacy Policy |
|
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us |

All rights reserved. All site content copyright 1997 - 2003 uttarpara.com