The Year 1704 AD - a Zaminder of famous Sabarnya Chowdhury clan, Shri Ratenswar
Roychowdhury left his ancestral village near Barrackpur of 24 pargans district
for a new residence on the banks of river Hooghly - Ootarpara. In those days,
village Ootarpara was northern part of village Bally (in Bengali, Ootarpara
literally means Northern Part), forming part of Sheorafully Zamindary.
Shri Ratenswar exchanged his ancestral property for Ootarpara and moved
there with his family and followers.
Ootarpara, in those days was marshland - bereft of decent human settlement.
Only fishermen of Patni, Malo castes and a few Muslims lived there. Their
trade was fishing, marketing fishing equipments, ferry service and dacoity.
The compulsion of Kaulinya system made Ratneswar, who was a Brahmin, to
bring other Brahmin families for matrimony. Gradually, many Brahmin families
like Durga Charn Banerjee, Ramtanu Chatterjee, Ramnidhi Chatterjee, Nandalal
Mukherjee etc. migrated and settled at Ootarpara through matrimonial relation
(Ghar jamai system) with decendents of Ratneswar Roychowdhury. Many of these
families afterwards took leading role in intellectual and spiritual development
of Uttarpara (we do not know how and when 'Ootarpara' became more sober
A Uttarpara Road - serenity and tranquility still envelop roads of Uttarpara
During the period 1800-1900, this tiny village gradually turned
to a small town of 0.8 sq. mile with the help of Ramhari Roy, great
grandson of Ratneswar, Joykrishna Mukherjee, Rajkrishna Mukherjee
grandson of Nandalal and others. They constructed or took leading role
in the construction of palatial buildings whose majectic contours still
dot the skyline of Uttarpara, broad roads, modern sanitary system, tension
bridge across Bally Khal, hospitals, schools, municipality, public library,
Police Station, Post Office, Uttarpara Railway Station etc. Residents of
today's Uttarpara are now enjoying fruits of that sound foundation.
During this period, Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Welington),
John Lawrence, Lord Canning and great Indian personalities
Iswar Chandra Vidya Sagar, Sir Surendra Nath Banerjee, Kesab Sen,
Swami Vivekananda, Sree Arabindo, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and
many others visited this place several times.
Uttarpara, or rather its illustrious sons, took leading
role in the struggle for independence during 1900 - 1947.
The youth of Uttarpara responded to calls from Gandhi's
non-violence and Surya Sen's armed struggle with equal
enthusiasm. So, we see revolutioneries like Dhrubesh
Chattopadhyay, Amarendra Nath Chattopadhyay, Chaitanya Deb
Chattopadhay and many others sacrifing their lives in
Cellular jail in The Andamans as also Shaheed Smritish
Bandopadhyay, who lost his life while preaching Gandhiji's
non-violence during Hindu-Muslim riot in 1945.
Revolutionary Amarendra Nath Chattopadhyay was forerunner in the
struggle for independence. Many firebrand youths of Uttarpara and
surrounding area got inspired and joined in freedom movement.
Sail boats still transport cargo across beautiful Hooghly river
Upto 1843, Uttarpara was part of 24-parganas district, under police
station Baidybati. In the year 1795 Hooghly District was carved out of
Burdwon District. Baidybati Police Station became part of Hooghly
District in the year 1814 and thus Uttarpara came under Hooghly
District. Baidybati Police Station was latter included to Serampore
Police Station. In the year 1916 separate Uttarpara Police Station
was established. The geographical location of Uttarpara is 22
degree 40 minutes North latitude and 88 degree 22 minutes longitude.
To relieve hazardous journey by boat and easy communication
with Kolkata - a tension bridge was constructed, bringing to an
end the boat ferry service from Uttarpara to Bally. The bridge
was formally opened for public on 14th February, 1846.
First rays of Bengali Renaissance enlightened Uttarpara.
Joykrishna, brother Rajkrishna and many others realised the
value of modern education and appealed to the British for
an English school in Uttarpara. Zamindars of Uttarpara,
specially Joykrishna and his family, never hesitated
to donate liberally for just cause. So, in his appeal,
Joykrishna offered to donate one of his palatial buildings
as also liberal aid for setting up the school. Not just
Zamindars, but other residents of Uttarpara were equally
forward looking. So, people of Uttarpara and Bhadrakali collected
a fund of Rs. 2000 and Rs. 220 respectively for this purpose.
The school was opened on 15th May, 1846. Mr. Robert Hord was its
first Head Master. Later Sri Ramtanu Lahiri (1852 - 1856) took
over as Headmaster and laid the foundation of one of the greatest
schools of West Bengal - Uttarpara Govt High School.
In 1848-49 Joykrishna and his brother Rajkrishna approached
the government for setting up a modern hospital. True to their
spirit - again Joykrishna offered to donate one of his
palatial buildings that will earn Rs. 1800 per year for the
Hospital. The hospital started from May 1851. Its first
incharge was Sub-Assistant Surgeon Dr. Dayalchand Basak.
Uttarpara Municipality was formed on 14th April 1853.
Bally Canal - Southern Entrance of Uttarpara (Erstwhile
Tension Bridge over Ballykhal)